Your True Colors
Maintaining your natural hair color involves two main approaches: preventing fading and encouraging healthy hair growth. Here are some tips for both:
- Minimize washing: Frequent washing strips away natural oils and can fade color. Aim for 1-2 washes per week.
- Use cool water: Hot water opens hair cuticles, allowing color to escape. Rinse with cool water to retain vibrancy.
- Opt for color-safe products: Harsh chemicals in regular shampoos can exacerbate fading. Use gentle, color-safe formulas.
- Protect from sun exposure: UV rays break down melanin, the pigment responsible for hair color. Wear hats or use UV protectant sprays.
- Limit heat styling: Heat can damage hair and accelerate color fading. Minimize heat styling and use a heat protectant spray when necessary.
- Avoid chlorine and salt water: Both can fade color. Rinse hair with clean water after swimming and apply a leave-in conditioner.